Monday, November 18, 2013

Hurrah for the Holidays


     Welp, somehow, amongst all of our busy fun, we manage to join someone else's intriguing mayhem.  Our favorite family theatre has an amazing season every year and, following a competitive audition,  I was cast along with two of my daughters for Hurrah for the Holidays.  The musical revue has all of my favorites, which happen to be Christmas songs, Christmas props, Christmas clothes, Christmas gifts, and a few other enjoyable Christmas perks.  "How do you manage?" This is the question of the day, but the answer is simple.  I can plug and play and enjoy without the creation of media stuff or instructing anyone or venue details.  When I can simply follow directions and relax my brain, then life is good.  

     When teaching classes for Atumpan African Dance, my brain hardly gets to relax.  I am constantly exploring ways to connect  my choreography to my brain remembering my choreography.  I recently saw some new friends singing this birthday song and it made sense to dance Yankadi, a courtship dance from Guinea, West Africa in order to help remember the dance steps in a specific order.  Talk about a home run.  Not only did we all learn the dance fairly quickly, but it gave us the warm and fuzzies of brand new Christmas slippers.  The ones with the teddy bear head.  Once we could all sing and dance it in a round it was time for eggnog.

No comments:

Post a Comment